bitbucket.org Dream Project Hosting?

Well, I am always in search of new ways to host and serve code. Recently I have been using bitbucket.org's free service more and more.

The benefits as I see them are:

  1. Mercurial hosting
  2. Ability to branch and publish any number of branches (a la launchpad)
  3. Plain web space for hosting generated documentation etc, with built-in wiki
  4. User interface entirely geared around source code
  5. I don't have to host it myself
  6. Responsive and generous developers
Now if we were to compare this to some other things, we might have: (and please correct me if I am wrong).


MercurialPublish many branchesWeb spaceWikiHosted by someone else for free
Bitbucket.orgYesYesYesYesYes
Launchpad.netNoYesNoNoYes
Google codeNoNoNoYesYes
Self-hosted TracYesNoYesYesNo


There are features that I would still really like, and the great developers are implementing them as we speak. The most exciting is the idea of an API where third-party applications could be written to do just about anything.

So Bitbucket.org, it's perfect for me, maybe it is perfect for you too.

Popular posts from this blog

PyGTK, Py2exe, and Inno setup for single-file Windows installers

ESP-IDF for Arduino Users, Tutorials Part 2: Delay

How to install IronPython2 with Mono on Ubuntu